Sunday, November 13, 2005

What do you value?

Recently a friend challenged me to write down the things I value. Here's why. Answer these questions in your head. What was your great-grandpa's name? What did he do for a living? Now, name three things he valued. Did you answer all of those? Odds are, most of you barely answered one of them. That was the case with me. Now, here's a thought. My influence has the potential to last no longer than this lifetime. I don't want that. I want the things I value (God, family...) to go beyond me. I want others to know what I value and I want that to be passed on to my family and those around me. So, I'll be attempting that exercise over the next month. Listing the things I value...the things I feel are important. The things I want others to know I find important. Then the real challenge begins. Evaluating my life and making sure my life is structured in a way to support those things I value. This is going to be fun...I hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I value my friends, my family, my relatives, god, prayer, the bible, being with christian friends and people, church, missionarys, my youth leaders and worship.

Kensey

Jason Morris said...

my great-grandpa's name was sam. he owned grocery stores, apartments, built houses, and was a church of god (anderson, in...of course...is there any other?) pastor. he valued god, family, and his time. when he retired from pastoring, he was the kind of guy that would sit in the front pew with a pocket-watch and sort of let the pastor know when his time was up. "if a man can't say what he needs to in an hour long service, he doesn't have anything to say." you pose a great thing to consider though...what do i value...what do i want people to know and believe i valued by the way i have lived my life...good things to think about.