Monday, November 28, 2005

I almost cried.

I read this a few weeks ago and it almost made me cry. Partly because I am a dad of a three year old, and partly because I have treated God pretty crappy at times. Read it and enjoy.

Real Life 101 (taken from the article, "Elvis and Intimcay"--Tim Elmore)
I had a missionary friend who was fre­quently called away from home. It was tough on his family, but it was hardest for his little son. At the train station, the boy would cling to him as if to beg him not to go. Most of the time his dad would appease the boy by bringing him an apple (apples were a rare treat in this country). This would distract the child until after he was able to jump on the train and depart.

One day, when he knew the trip would be especially long, my friend brought two apples to the station. He knew it would be a tough departure. Sure enough, the little boy clamped onto his dad's hand with all of his might. Outside of the passenger car my friend was to board, he said, "Now son, I'm going to be home soon, I prom­ise. And guess what? I brought you not one, but two apples."
He jammed them into his son's tiny hands and quickly hopped onto the train. After setting down his luggage, he glanced out the door to see if his son was still there. As he looked out the opening of the train, he saw the child still standing in the same place he had left him. The apples had been dropped onto the concrete and he had tears rolling down his cheeks. He heard his little boy whimper, "But daddy, I don't want your apples ... I want you."

I think God is looking for people that will say to Him, "Your answers to prayer are wonderful. Thanks for all you've given me. But even if I never got another answer, it would be enough to just know You.” It's a pure desire for God. Noth­ing more. Nothing less. Nothing else. No hidden agendas. Is this your heart's cry?


--Isn't that amazing. My prayer for you and I today is that we treat God like God, see him as savior, and serve him as Lord.
Peace,
Scott

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, I did cry.... it's amazing how the two of us can just plug the face, the eyes, and the tears of our little guy into that story.... what great truth though. We don't have to have the blessings and the gifts.... we just have to have God himself. Have a great day!

Love you-
Deanna

Judy Gregory said...

Great post Scott. In fact, I think I'll steal it if you don't mind. Hey, have you read/used any of Tim Elmore's stuff? I recently was on a conference call with him (see blog summary) and found him impressive. You and Deanna rock Scot-ta.