Monday, October 31, 2005

Impact

What kind of impact are you making. I know that impact is the name of our middle school ministry...but peel your brain away from that for a minute. Are you making concussions in your world. Not beating people over the head so as to cause memory loss...but what kind of damage are you doing on the people around you. If you were a grenade thrown into a room...would people be influenced by you...or would you be a loud noise and bright light for a second and leave people wondering in five minutes, "what was that all about." With no permanent influence.

Deanna and I had an interesting conversation tonight. We talked about our past and the people that we have been friends with. We discussed how those friendships have transitioned over time from people who influenced us to people we have influenced. I speculate that many of friends have had a huge impact on me...but as we talked more, I wonder how many of my friends I influenced. Over the next few days, I'll share some thoughts about some of my friendships. This could be fun.

Question of the day: Would you rather drive a tank or ride in a helicopter?


Man's best friend? This is a picture of our dog "Ollie". Sit. Good boy. (He's over 75 pounds now...but just as cute...except when he tries to eat his own poop, or when he wakes up Aaron.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you did well last night driving home the point that you wanted to make...

I'd have to say ride in a helicopter. You get to see so much beauty from the air.

Jason Morris said...

Scott,

You have no clue how much of an influence you have had on many lives. You have had a major impact on my life. I wouldn't be where I am today had I not received an invitation to be a counselor/drummer (it's got this part that goes doo doo clap. do you think you can do that? ha) at jr. high camp all those years ago. You continue to bless me, encourage me, and influence me. I know that this blog is meant to reach out to your students. But, ever since I started checking out your site, I've been challenged, encouraged, and influenced by your words! Emily and I have talked about how we wished we all were closer geographically so we could hang out! I don't know why, but for some reason, she really likes you guys!

PomLindsay said...

Scott,
I am so sorry that Cody and I missed ONE and Summmit last night, I was taking my senior pictures until about 6:45 7:00 and they were being taken in a studio somewhere in Fort Wayne, Cody couldn't come becasue he has a very Masculine (aka nonexistant) sense of direction, basically, he still had no idea how to get to WCC. I promise we'll be back next weekend though...

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott
I am really looking foward to this series because this is one of the major things that...i don't know how to word it...make you who you are? im not sure if that makes sence, but i mean like you know like you were sayin you influence people and they influence you. I know I have friends that influence me, and i am working on influencing some of my close friends to have a closer relationship with God.
Well I will see you later!
**Emily

Anonymous said...

Sorry i missed one and impact last night i was on my way home from minnesota and i was sick!well i wouldn't to be able to choose between a helicopter and a tank because they would both be an awesome expierence well see ya later!
PAIGE WOOD

Anonymous said...

It's kinda late, but oh well. I would have to say ride in a helicopter. I don't think I could drive a tank. :)
Amie