Friday, October 14, 2005

Smaller than you might think.

Making a difference is usually smaller and quicker than one might think. (my paraphrase of Malcolm Gladwells idea behind The Tipping Point) As I look back over my life (that makes me sound old) I think some of the biggest changes in my life came about by some pretty small moments or actions. Deanna is my wife because I finally said, "will you marry me?". I am a Pastor because I knew God was asking me to trust him and I said, "yes". My current spiritual state of being is in place because I have decided in the small moments to make it a priority. I think I have gotten caught up at times thinking that life is about these big, huge moments at a camp, retreat or conference where I make a decision to finally do _________ . (insert whatever emotionally driven commitment you would like in the blank. I've probably made it.) But what I am learning is that it's about the small moments that usually cost me very little. Those are the times that make the biggest difference. I don't know, I'll think about this some more, but I would love your thoughts on this...along with the answer to the question of the day.

Question of the Day: What is your favorite way to waste time?

Another Catalyst quote that goes along with the statement from above: "Emotionally charged environments are like a fog." I'm learning it's not smart to make directional decisions in a fog. At least without a good compass and map.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

SLEEP!!!!!:-D

-Jessica Delp

Anonymous said...

sitting in a coffeeshop reading the newspaper.

man, I'm lame. :)

DelorumRex said...

wasting time today banging my head into my keyboard.. not my favorite thing really.. but today it seems mandatory.

Anonymous said...

Playing video games or being on the internet, that's what I usually do to waste time. I could have said hanging out with my friends, going outside, and stuff like that.. But I don't see those things as a waste of time.

-Austin Brenneman

Anonymous said...

I normaly sleep or listen to my music while I do homework.

Anonymous said...

My faveorite way to wast time would be to sleep...I would fo that right now, but i have wat to many things to do.

Anonymous said...

hmmm...i definantly love wasting my time on the phone...so much fun!...or maybe doing some form of art..whether it be drawing, taking pictures, or doing theatre...oh speaking of theatre i have an upcoming play performance...just to let you know...i'll tlk to you later and keep your message in mind!!!
Alex Shoemaker Furnivall

Anonymous said...

dang well, you make a good point Scott. To think of it, making leaps in any area insn't really a big achievement, and really does happen in small steps. Wow, I can't really say that I have ever considered this....hhmm well yeah it all makes sence...its as if I'm Neo and your Morpheus, except for your just telling me a good life fact, and Morpheus tells Neo of a new life litterally, wow how of track one can get...well yeah I see your point, and will now consider it, well yeah, thats it adios

Anonymous said...

Waisting time...im guilty of doing that all the time...like now...i should be upstairs cleaning my room...but im on the phone which is pretty much the biggest time waister ever!

Anonymous said...

favorite to waste time is definantly watching tv or a movie. ~Courtney Lewis

Anonymous said...

i like to play basketball and watch movies.

Kayla Stout

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of emotionally charged situations. I guess I'd rather make a decision with my head and not on emotions. I'm different like that. Emotions fade out...

Anonymous said...

listen to really cool music.
-Blayke

Anonymous said...

My favorite way to waste time is listening to music or playing NCAA Football 2006.

Tyler Akers

Anonymous said...

I always listen to music while I do my homework

Will Brown

Anonymous said...

messing around on the computer!

wizard

Anonymous said...

Scott, what's up. I like to write to wast time.

Anonymous said...

i'm gonna have to go with Jessica..SLEEP! hah--Tara Akers