Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Who surrounds you?

So who do you most often find your self running around with. I am realizing that I most often find myself around people like me...and people that like me. While the second one is obvious (we surround ourselves with people who accept us) why do we more often than not find ourselves around people that are very similar to us. Think about it. They are people that look like you, dress like you, think like you...the list goes on.
What if we made a commitment to look for friendships among people not like ourselves.
Last year, I was looking at Aarons scrapbook from the hospital when he was born. All of our visitors (great people) were just like us. If he grew up only knowing the "scrapbook people", he would think that no one else existed...or worse...that he shouldn't like people not like him.

I don't know what this is going to look like in the future for me, but I want to have friends that are not like me...but who I like, and they like me. (kind or wordy, but I think you get it.)

Question of the day: What famous dead person would you really like to meet and why? (You can't say Jesus...that's too obvious.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that whole only be around people like me thing is pretty musch true to everyone....i would like to think that i hang out with people opposite of who i am, but i don't really...gosh, scott, you always have something to say that makes me think about what i need to do to better myself and it's hard because nobody wants to correct themselves or change their habbits for one reason or another...so i completely understand...or at least i think i do....what you're attempting to convey to us....so i thoght i'd let you know it's a good one....oh, the answer to my question is victor hugo, only because i have to do a research project on him, otherwise...maybe john f. kennedy, or hitler.....i have a few questions of my own for both of them.....see ya later
Alex S. F.

Anonymous said...

Well since Rosa Parks just died she is on my mind and she is a really brave woman. SO, I would have to say that I would like to meet her. She stuck up for what she believed in. That's awesome!

Anonymous said...

weird question, a lot of people to choose from...i dont think i could pick one person.
brooklynne slabaugh

Anonymous said...

I have never really thought about that. Its so true. We all hang with people like us. But heres a question...like what if ur trying to be friends with people that aren't liek you but what if like they don't want to. what do you do? Thats what im dealing with right now. Like I know u can't like force someone to be ur friend but I still don't know what to do. If you could e-mail me or talk to me at summit I would very much appriciate it. Thanks scott. OO the question of the day....I have no clue...I guess i would want to meet someone that help the world but theres so many to pick from. well im out of here. Thanks for the Post.
Kyrie'Maierle

Judy Gregory said...

Scot-ta,
Stopped by the blog. Great insight. I've been thinking a little along those lines too. I think we gravitate toward whatever community will accept us. Are we like them before or do we become like them after... I think it's a little of both. Can you pull in someone who doesn't look like you? Absolutely. Will they feel comfortable with you? Absolutely. Will they feel comfortable with your friends? Probably not unless they choose to be intentional as well.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your post today...it stuck out to me. I actually have an assortment of friends, but the ones that arn't just like me are friends that arn't friends forever (if that makes sense) but the ones that are like me are ones i know will be there for me forever.
Question of the day...hmm I would probally say Ameila Earheart because she was an avaiton pioneer, and since im interested in avation (my dad's a pilot)and im going to solo on my 16th bday, she has always been someone that interests me

Anonymous said...

Ok.. Moses!

-Austin Brenneman