Saturday, October 22, 2005

Being or Doing?

Who we are matters so much more than what we do. I know that may not sound right at first…but think about it. Who we are really drives what we do. If at the core of me, I am selfish…the things I do will tend to be things that serve me. Or you can look at it like this. Focus on being and not doing. I was challenged a few years ago (by someone I look up to) to examine my life and see where I was working more…in the “doing” or “being” area of my life. Here is what I have concluded. Many times I have been more concerned about my celebrity than my identity. (I’m not suggesting for one second that I am a celebrity, but I’m using that word to make a point.) Often we are concerned about what we do than who we are…for the sake of acceptance. Last year at Catalyst, I was challenged deeply by John Maxwell’s confession when he said that, “for too long I was concerned about doing something great FOR God instead of being concerned with God doing something great IN me.” That hit me right in the eyes…and still causes some thought today as you can see.

God, help me to focus on BEING and not DOING this week.

Question of the day: Would you rather read a page out of the dictionary or a page out of the yellow pages?

p.s. Enjoy some starbucks.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's kinda of strange but I would rather read a page of a dictionary!

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott!! How are you well I would rather read pages out of yellow pages because I can't read half of the words in there they to big for me.

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott!! I would definitly perfer to read out of the yellow pages, to big of words.


----Raegan Minear

Anonymous said...

Hey!! I would prefer to read out of the yellow pages I can't pronounce some of the words in the dictionary.


---Jordan Minear

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott I'm really bored so I just to tell you that I went to the Haunted Castle,Black Forest,Pharaoh's Revenge last night and it was SWEET. It was kinda scary but It was definitly a blast.See you tommorow bye!bye!

---Raegan Minear

Anonymous said...

scott that's way tooo easy...i read the dictionary for the fun of it(i'm not just making that up)... actually people think i'm weird for doing that, but i know a girl who started reading it soon after i did...so i'm not alone...so i'd have to go with reading a page of the dictionary...evern though reading crazy last names in the phone book can be foun aswell...i guess you could say i'm just weird....well, i'll see you tomorrow and i'll try to be who i am and let what i do happen naturally...uless of course it is unhealthy or unwise to do so...later....
Alex Shoemaker Furnivall

Anonymous said...

I would read the dictionary. I guess because You can learn new things.
Amie Y.

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott! I wiukd have to say the yellow pages cause i can't even pronounce some of the words.

Kayla Stout

Anonymous said...

im not sure what the yellow pages say...so the dictionary?

Anonymous said...

Yellow Pages so I could see what we have in town and there would be alot less things to read.~Courtney Lewis

Anonymous said...

Probably the yellow pages because I dont understand half of the words in the definitions in the dictionary.
**Emily

Anonymous said...

Umm.. I can't really see myself randomly picking up either of the two for a quick read. But I guess I'd go with a dictionary.

-Austin Brenneman