Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Cultural First Responder

So here’s a thought. God has called us to be salt and light in the world. As a matter of fact, some of His last words were to “go into the world…”. What if we viewed every day as if we were “Cultural First Responders.” People who see the world around us in danger and jump in to help. Sure, we may be engulfed by flames, put ourselves in danger or we may even get scrapes and bruises from time to time…but it’s better than standing on the outside, yelling at people to “come out.” If there is something that 9-11 taught us, it was that those people who run in when everyone else is running out…those people are called hero’s. Since last week, I have been asking myself about my role in this culture…my context. Am I “running in”, or standing on the outside hollering at people to come out. I am not suggesting that we run out and become pot smoking drunks who commit sexual sin…that would be like running into a house fire and lighting yourself on fire. How does that help the people in the house. No, maybe I am suggesting that we arm ourselves with Gods truth, His wisdom and the leading of the Holy Spirit and become “First Responders” in our culture. People did that for me…the least I can do is use my divine giftedness to lend a hand to my generation and those who will come behind us.


Question of the Day: Do you feel like you are more often...
A.) An influence on others.
B.) Influenced by others.

I'll write more later.

Scott

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ello Scott. Considering I have a lot of values that I take seriously, I'm not usually influenced in that way. I'm not sure how much of an influence I have on other people.. But I think I'm going to go with A.

-Austin Brenneman

Anonymous said...

I'd like to hope that I am a good influence on others and get good influences from them. So, I guess I'll have to go with influences on others because I'm involved in alot of things that give me those opportunities.
~Erin Weybright

Anonymous said...

influenced by others definantly~Courtney Lewis

Anonymous said...

I know for sure that I am influenced by others, and I hope that I have influence on others about God. So I have to say A.

Will Brown

Anonymous said...

i would like to say that i am more often an influencer...but i often find myself being influenced...i guess sometimes just need to take the time to actually observe the impact i have on others compared to the impact they have on me....i guess i'll talk to you more later...and i'll think about the situation more this week!!LATER...
Alex Shoemaker Furnivall

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I am definitely influenced by others, but I also hope that people are influenced by me too. So I really want to say A, but its probably as much B as it is A.
Kristina Cripe

Anonymous said...

hey there! Well I'm definantly influenced by others.. but not neccissarily in a bad way.. My friends support my relationship with God so much and just knowing that its so easy to talk to them about it helps me to get closer to Him.But then i also try my best to have a good influence on others too.. so i'de have to say its A and B! See ya sunday! :)

*Brooke Salla

Judy Gregory said...

Great insight Scot-ta. The question I ask myself is what would a first responder look like. What is "ok" to take part in and what's not? What each of us define as "ok" is different... is that "ok"? Hmmm, I think it's time to go home. Later friend.

Anonymous said...

I don't know...thats a hard one...probably a little bit of both. I hope i am an influence to others, but often times i am influenced by others my self...

Anonymous said...

hey scott i would have to go with both because i do both! have a great week

Anonymous said...

hey scott i forgot to put my name on the entry that i just sent any way my name is Paige Wood!

Anonymous said...

I think it's both to me. So many people look up to you that u don't even know about. so yah. if i had ot pick i'd probably say influenced by others.

Andrew Cutshall/Wizard

Anonymous said...

I think most of the time I am an influencer. I really don't follow the crowd and I try to help people see differen things differetly.

Anonymous said...

well i hope i influenece others and i'm working on that but many people influenece me as well!--Tara Akers