Monday, October 10, 2005

Consumer or Consumee

This weeks blogs will be influenced in a major way by the conference that I went to last week. The conference was called, Catalyst: A gathering of Next Generation Leaders. Many of the thoughts I had and messages I heard are still rolling around in my head...you're going to get most of it raw and un-edited. Feel free to comment if you disagree with something, or to leave a note letting me know you have felt the same way. All I really know is this. I had an experience with God and I am confident that I am not the same. I thing that's why he wants us to daily have experiences with him. Not just at a cool camp or an amazing conference.
To provide some order for this Catalyst debriefing (my brain dump), I will highlight my thoughts from the conference every day with the heading, Catalyst Thought just so it doesn't get lost.

Catalyst Thought: When I worship, am I a consumer or am I being consumed? Louie Giglio threw out the thought that all to often we go to worship looking for what we can get...and we miss the point. Worship is about what we GIVE to God. I must admit, with the onset of new worship music (thanks David Crowder and Chris Tomlin) and some amazing worship bands to lead me...I have attended hundreds of amazing worship services over the last several years that have blown me away. But as I look back, I have acted as a consumer almost every time. I have gotten lost in the "taking" and have not come to the alter of celebration to "give". After his talk, we had a time of worship (celebration). For the first time in a long time, I was consumed by God instead of the consumer of God. I want that for my life every day!

Question of the day: If money were no object, would you rather eat Taco Bell or Hacienda?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though I can't win the ipod, I'll still comment. I'd have to say Hacienda, without a doubt. Free chips are something that one just can't pass up. And plus, they have mudslides (cookies and ice cream). Irresistable.
In regards to the meat of your post, I've been challenged about much of the same over the last year. If worship is really "giving worth to God", why do we spend so much time singing about what we want God to do for us? So many of the new songs on the market speak more about what we want God to do for us, as opposed to praising God for his eternal qualities. It's something to think about... whether it's worshipping God, or singing a song to God. Anyways, enough babbling. I'll try to post some thoughts about Podcast on my xanga sometime soon.
-britt

Anonymous said...

Well well well, I really sort of agree with you. I love 8:17 or 1 or whatever we do, every single time, but all I do is consume, and I never turn around and give it to someone else....dang talk about a low blow, call that one ref, yeah so I just sidetracked on that one. But seriously I do see what you mean, and I guess it can be hard somtimes, because one would often just want to take all of it in, and thats that...hhmm I'll have to ponder about this for alittle, good question, Hacienda easily, sence you know Taco Bell people don't wash there hands and such. Well I have to go my dog is barking at the bottom of my car, which is never a plus. Adios

Oh Scott at some point we need to go eat sometime, or somthing, I got some talking I need to do, and well I chose you for well the talking, see you tomorrow, at my house....bye

Anonymous said...

I think I would choose Toca Bell.




kyle dilley

Anonymous said...

That was a easy decision... Hacienda...I dont think that I could pass up the chips and salsa.
oh yea and the Mudslides.

Anonymous said...

Hacienda for sure...tho i would rather go to El Arreo than either of the two options but thats okay...lol

**Emily

Anonymous said...

This is actually a tough question. Hacienda has great deserts, but Taco Bell has some classics.. I'll go with HaciBell. :D

-Austin Brenneman

Anonymous said...

I would go with taco bell for sure.
Hacienda just tastes like a microwave dinner! ;)

Anonymous said...

I hate Mexican food but at least, by it's appearence, Hacienda seems to have nicer looking food than that fast food junk at Taco Bell, so Hacienda fo sho'.
Also, my xanga site is
tigerqb3@xanga. blah blah blah

Tyler Akers

Anonymous said...

Since I don't really like taco bell I would have to say Hacienda!

I LOVE THAT PLACE!!!!

Kristen

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I'm gonna have to say Taco Bell. Only because I love it so much and I could take the money I didn't use at Hacienda and get a movie or something.

Anonymous said...

If you are wondering what my name is it's spelled backwards. And my initials are RF.

Anonymous said...

i would go with taco bell they give an american twist to the mexican food and i like it!!!

Anonymous said...

Hacienda baby! ooo I love that place! haha! I like these questions! Man, I wish money wasn't a problem, but then again the world would be more crazy than it already is!
Mercedes P.

Anonymous said...

i would say taco bell cause i taco bell food better than hacieda

Kayla Stout

Anonymous said...

Definitely Hacienda, hands down.... if I could get my husband to join me.

Sincerely,
Deanna Greene! :)

Anonymous said...

hmm both are good..but hacienda they have good chips!--Tara Akers