Thursday, December 15, 2005

A three year old and the history of Corn Flakes

I have already told many of you this, but I’ll repeat it anyway.  If you would have told me three years ago that I would enjoy hanging out with a three year old, I would have told you, you were nuts.  But regularly I find myself spending time with Aaron and genuinely experiencing joy.  I have told him often lately that he makes my heart smile.  This morning when I told him that, he looked at me and said, “No, you make MY heart smile.”  I hope that is the case.  

Looking back on the year is leading to some interesting feelings.  Some of joy, some of sorrow and some of frustration.  But I  really think the outcome of this year is massive “forward progress” in my walk with God.  Many times during this year I would have traded the information, situation, or circumstances for just about anything else.  But, now that I am here, today looking backwards, I can see God’s protection, teaching and presence throughout the year.  Hindsight is 20/20.  Maybe I’ll look for him “in the situation” next year.  

Year in review: April was a great month.  We got the opportunity to head to Orlando for Spring Break.  Aaron had an awesome time at Disney World.  It was a great time with the whole Burch family.  On our trip home, we stopped in Atlanta and attended 7:22…a Bible study for College aged people hosted at Northpoint Community Church.  It was an amazing night of worship and teaching.  Oh ya, Chris Tomlin and Matt Redman led worship that night.  AMAZING for Deanna and I to be able to worship together in that environment.  Later in the month I got to spend a weekend in Battle Creek, MI with some students on a retreat.  We toured the Kellogg’s factory and got to see how they make Corn Flakes.  We read the Bible too.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, this made me smile.... and cry.... You are a great daddy.... I am thankful to be on this parenting journey with you!!!

Always....
Deanna