Monday, December 05, 2005

Mary as a slave?

(Please read before you accuse me of being a pagan)


Then Mary said: “Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me
according to your word.” Luke 1:38 (New King James Version)

Mary sold out. When you read the paragraph before her declaration in vs. 38, she questions the angel. (NOTE:I’m not sure I would question a talking angel…but he did say she was going to have a baby --even though she was a virgin. Oh, and the baby would be the Messiah. Maybe grounds for questioning.) My point is this. After she clearly understood what God was asking…she said, “Yes, I will bow down and submit to God even though this is going to be painful. Very painful. I will submit to having God as my master.” (Translation provided by T. Scott Greene)

In many of Paul’s writings, he makes reference to us as humans being slaves. We are slaves to sin, before we accept Christ. Declaring Christ as our Lord frees us from our sin as we become slaves to Christ...bringing about a new birth of our spirit. Thanks to American History, we see the word “slave” as negative. But this is the kind of scary/ comforting submission to a master (therefore becoming a slave) that is both scary and loving at the same time. The kind of “scary” I see in Aaron when we are playing hide and seek and I jump out at him and scare him. He knows I can hurt him…yet he knows I won’t. That is why I think Mary said…”O.k. I will be a slave…to my master…my God!”

"God, help me to submit myself to you today, tomorrow and always. I want to be your slave."
Scott

No comments: