Friday, October 30, 2009

My RESET friend.

I need a RESET every now and then. I can get carried away with my "American thinking"...the kind of thinking that leads to internal dialogue like, "I deserve more"...or "Ya, I'll take the larger one...because I need it" ...or...things like: excessive frustration over missed opportunity, too many emotions over mis- appropriated credit or blown gaskets from small inconveniences.

My friend Joe has provided me with a RESET on more than one occasion. With comments like, "ya, I'm frustrated too at the fact that little kids in Africa will die today because they don't have clean water." Or comments like, "I don't care as long as God gets the credit." RESET...COMPLETE. He is a guys who embodies John 17:4. He's not a "Glory Seeker". Joe is a guy who doesn't care about "credit". A win for the Kingdom is a win for the Kingdom...and Joe doesn't need the credit. (this blog entry will actually make him very uncomfortable) As a matter of fact, I think he often goes out of his way to make sure he doesn't get the credit. I need to be more like Joe. When I see him do that, it's like a RESET for me. When he smacks me with one of "those statements" it makes me want to laugh, cry and then crawl under a table and hide because of my selfishness...Those times help me to realize I need a RESET and I need to be more like JESUS. It's almost like being around him helps me keep my life in perspective. I think everyone needs a "RESET" friend. Thanks Joe!

2 comments:

Bobbi Beer said...

glad to see you are blogging again!

Deanna said...

Welcome back.... :)